19 Sep 7 HVAC Warning Signs
The recent winter weather and extremely cold temperatures put area HVAC units to the test in Raleigh, NC. Single digit lows are not common in our area; however, they occur more often than you might realize. On average, temperatures drop below freezing over 70 times each winter. With frequent fluctuation in temperature, it is vital to make sure your heating systems are well-maintained. In order to ensure your heat works when you need it, homeowners must pay close attentions to signs their heating systems are malfunctioning.
Quick Heating System Maintenance Tips
Maintaining your HVAC system is important throughout the year. Important maintenance steps include:
- Air Filters: Air filters should be changed as often as they are dirty. Check your air filters at least monthly.
- Open Vents: Your system is designed with maximum airflow in mind, so make sure vents are open and unobstructed.
- Clearance: Clear your outdoor unit of fallen leaves and other debris. Maintain at least 18 to 24 inches of clearance between your HVAC unit and fencing and shrubbery.
- Check for Leaks: Always keep an eye on your coolant line for leaks.
- Doors and Windows: Though they are not necessarily functional components of your HVAC system, drafty doors and windows can cause your heating system to work harder than it should.
- Electrical Wiring: Shorted or grounded wires will cause your heating system to trip your breaker and will ultimately damage your unit.
7 Warning Signs Your Heating System is Malfunctioning:
- Red or Yellow Furnace Flame: The pilot light in your furnace should always burn blue and steady. If your furnace’s pilot light is yellow or red, contact an HVAC professional immediately.
- Unusual Noises: If your heating system is unusually loud, or you hear strange noises when it is engaged, it may be a sign of failing components that require attention.
- Cold Air from Supply Vents: The air supplied by heat pumps is typically lukewarm; however, if your supply air is cold, you should have your system inspected.
- Failure to Reach Thermostat Setting: If your system is engaged longer than usual, or fails to reach the thermostat setting altogether, it is likely indicative of imminent failure. Do not simply raise the thermostat temperature. Contact a professional immediately.
- Significantly Higher Energy Bills: Energy bills are typically higher in the summer and winter months. However, if your bills seem to be getting higher and higher, it could be a sign of and issue with your heating system.
- Temperature Fluctuations Between Rooms: If your vents are open and unobstructed, but you notice significant temperature differences between rooms in your home, there could be an issue with your unit or ductwork.
- Soot or Debris Near Furnace Registers: If you observe soot, rust, or debris around your furnace registers, your equipment will require attention sooner than later.
You See the Warning Signs: Now What?
If you observe the warning signs of heat pump or furnace failure, it is important to act quickly. Minor issues can lead to significant, costly repairs. The longer HVAC issues remain unaddressed, the greater the potential for additional damage to occur. Contact a professional HVAC technician as soon as you see the signs of heating failure.
With All American Maintenance Plans our licensed technicians inspect and maintain your heating system throughout the year. Follow this link to learn more about how our maintenance plans can help ensure you and your family have heat when you need it.